Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/southpar/public_html/home/includes/class.sql.php on line 111

Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/southpar/public_html/home/includes/class.sql.php on line 111
Southlands College Residents Management Company

History

 

Southlands College, a Methodist Foundation, was originally established in 1872 in Battersea, and moved to Wandsworth in 1930 when it acquired, the Belmont Estate, previously owned by the Duc de Vendome, a member of the Orleans branch of the French Royal Family, and great grandson of King Louis Philippe. This is commemorated by the two fleur de Lys of France above the scallop shells of the Wesley crest and the lamp of learning in the College coat of arms.

   

After the Second World War, during which the College was evacuated to Weston-Super-Mare, student numbers grew substantially. Athlone Hall was opened in 1957, providing a superb setting for services, concerts and plays; additional lecture blocks were built and in 1961 the neighbouring Queensmere site was acquired, on which five residential blocks and a second dining room were built. Southlands became co-educational in 1965.

 

When the University of London introduced its new BEd degree in 1969, the introduction of BA and BSc degrees by the College changed it from being one that only trained teachers, to a College of Higher Education with a much broader educational scope. However, it fully maintained its commitment to the teaching profession.

 

In 1975, Southlands College joined with Digby Stuart College (Roman Catholic), Whitelands College (Anglican), and the Froebel Institute (Humanist), to form the Roehampton Institute and in the 1990s, the Methodist Church decided to sell the Wimbledon premises and use the proceeds to finance the building of a new Southlands on the Roehampton Lane campus.

 

 

This resulted in the development of the present Southlands Parkside residential estate comprising Belmont Mews, Chapman Square and Southlands Drive.